2.01.2011

Drinks and Transportation.

(This is going to be a post about alcohol...so feel free to not read this post and skip over it...or just read it...go on...)

Tonight was quite an experience. So, I went into a pub with a group of friends. I decided that tonight I would get my first alcoholic drink from a bar/pub. I, being the skittish person that I am, I got up in the line...highly anticipating the moment that most people back in the states wait for until they are 21. I decided to go with the highly recommended Strongbow. I paid the bartender and anxiously rushed back the entire 5 feet to my seat. As I took the first sip, I felt a wave rush over me. Somewhat of that 'adult' feeling where I was aloud to drink legally in front of people...and no one gave a damn. It was quite nice...and after I had finished that delicious Strongbow...I didn't feel the need to get another. I felt quite content with it being a social drink. But, I could understand why people in London drink so much....i'm assuming because Strongbow is quite tasty.
(Transportation part)
So, I realized how important the Tube (subway) was today. After having a few troubles and worries about getting to and from a place was, I realized how dependent Londoners were on the Tube. I recall having a conversation with Mark (the programme director) about how he commutes about 25 mins on the tube to work from his home. He then spoke about Beth (the assistant programme director) and her location distance from Vandon House (where I live). He said that she walks to work and it's a rarity that you were able to walk to work here in London. I found this interesting, because I know my mom has about a 30 min commute ad my father about a 20 minute commute...yet we live in a different city than their location of employment..where are London is one big city full of villages. I then realized that America is very dependent on cars/trucks/vans in most places. So, it makes sense. London is different from Iowa City...more than just size. Wow. I just wish Mr. Feeney were here to making all of my unanswered questions more just answers. Because without questions, we just have answers...and an answer would just be a statement. (Thanks to Mayor Adam West for that line). 

No comments:

Post a Comment