2.12.2011

The Beauty of Religion

So, I went to the West Minster Cathedral today. I really didn't have a choice...it was a class project. So, I went reluctantly. As many of you know...I'm not a huge religious person, yet I have my beliefs. When I got inside, I was glorified with art.

West Minster Cathedral is know for their elaborate mosaic decorations. I believe that you don't need a church in order to praise God, however it is a place glorifying God and paying tribute to him.





The art is just so beautiful and it all pays homage to God and the stories of in the Bible.The most breathtaking part was the Main Alter. Just the way that the colors and lights reflected off the gorgeous mosaic artwork just lit a fire in my soul.









However, my favorite mosaic is most likely the most gruesome on there. It was in the side chapel known as the "Holy Souls Chapel". It was a portrait of a snake with a skull in his mouth and he was attempting to devour Adam. The Latin text translates to "Just like Adam, All will die" (im not sure about the literal translation...this is what the professor said).

I find this so amazing because there is such a difference in everyones beliefs...yet we will all physically end up the same in the end, dead.


I plan on taking more pictures and I will update you on my class trips.

1 comment:

  1. Jason - Excellent blog, with good observations and cross-cultural comparisons to the US. Particularly like your comments on the markets and East End. Good work... as you say yourself, perhaps a little more reflection too?

    Cheers

    Mark

    ReplyDelete